Program Assistant/Farmers Market Manager
The Program Assistant (PA) helps coordinate the operations and administration of Greater Ashmont Main Street. Working closely with the Executive Director (ED), the PA leads the planning and implementation of the Ashmont/Peabody Square Farmers Market, as well as assisting with internal committee work, regular fundraising and promotion events, and helping manage the administrative processes of the broader Greater Ashmont MS organization.
Hours: 24 hrs/week year round; late June – mid October, Fridays noon to 8pm required for managing the Ashmont/Peabody Square Farmers Market; some evening or weekend hours for occasional community events required; otherwise flexible schedule; unpaid time off available with prior approval from the ED.
Wage: $16 -$18/hour starting wage, commensurate with experience
Reports to: Executive Director
Review Schedule: Every 6 months
- Support the ED in the administration of Greater Ashmont MS by maintaining the office environment and taking ownership of maintenance issues related to the Peabody Square public plazas; assisting with the organization’s files, correspondence, and compliance work; and communicating Greater Ashmont Main Street’s priorities, events, and accomplishments through use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Support existing events and programs related to Greater Ashmont MS priority initiatives (e.g. district beautification, business networking, community events). Responsibilities include marketing/outreach, volunteer staffing, and evaluating the impact of events and programs.
- Manage the weekly Ashmont/Peabody Square Farmers Market, including permitting, vendor solicitation and selection, staff recruitment (both volunteer and a paid market assistant), artist recruitment, and publicity.
- Build effective personal relationships with Greater Ashmont MS stakeholders, including local business and building owners, residents, and institutions, recruiting new members and volunteers incidentally to this.
- Other tasks to be determined as needs arise and according to the PA’s skills and interests.
Characteristics & Knowledge
- Energetic, dependable self-starter who exhibits leadership and problem-solving capacity.
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities and projects; meticulous attention to detail.
- Willing to spend a portion of work time “on the street” doing outreach to local business owners, residents, and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the Greater Ashmont MS District and the City of Boston.
- Experience or interest in community/economic development; preferably in a grassroots setting.
- Familiarity with the needs of small business owners from various sectors (retail, services, industrial).
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated MS Office & social media skills, comfort with web-based tools (e.g, Googledocs), and fiscal responsibility required.
- Well-developed communication skills, both written and oral, required.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people required; proficiency in Vietnamese, Spanish, or Cape Verdean especially helpful.
- Event planning, graphic design experience, marketing, fundraising, communications background, and/or supervisory experience helpful.
- Valid driver’s license, as well as occasional access to a vehicle.
- Able to lift up to 40lbs unassisted, more as part of a team.
Forward cover letter & resume to Jenn Cartee, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Applications received by September 2 will be reviewed together and later applications only if the position remains open. We hope to fill this unexpected opening as early in September as possible.
Equal Opportunity Policy
Greater Ashmont Main Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state equal employment laws, equal opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, ex-offender status, prior psychiatric treatment or military status.