Through integration with the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development, Greater Ashmont MS is the gateway to many valuable City of Boston programs for small businesses. These include:
- ReStore Boston helps neighborhood business and property owners with storefront improvements. ReStore Boston has provided professional design services to over 300 businesses and completed 80 storefront improvement projects.
- Boston Buying Power allows small businesses to benefit from competitive electricity and natural gas rates negotiated by an outside broker on behalf of the purchasing group.
- Renew Boston provides Boston businesses with technical assistance and financial incentives through energy efficiency upgrades and solar energy installations. Its energy efficiency incentives will pay for up to 70% of the total cost of retrofitting lighting and mechanical systems. Further, through the Race to Solar program, companies that have installed over 700 kW of rooftop solar PV to date and are currently saving thousands of dollars a year.
- On-Site Business Assistance Private sector experts, such as those at Main Street Partners, can help businesses improve their financial management; improve the customer experience and increase customer loyalty; better use their space; develop and implement a growth strategy; better manage inventory; improve employee management; choose the right technology to improve business operations; identify and apply for financing options; and develop a marketing strategy. All of these services are coordinated for the Main Street district business by Greater Ashmont MS and staff at Boston Main Streets and are provided at no cost to the business owner.
- Zoning and Permitting Support Experienced staff at the Department of Neighborhood Development are available to assist businesses with obtaining the necessary licensing and permits to open or expand their businesses.
- The Neighborhood Restaurant Initiative is an effort to to support the revitalization of the city’s commercial districts. The initiative provides a menu of resources ranging from business instruction to assistance with licensing and permitting, to marketing and design, and also includes a financing option.
- Partners with Nonprofits provides matching grants up to $25,000 to help nonprofit organizations enhance the infrastructure of facilities that serve the immediate community. Awards are made annually based upon a competitive Request-for-Proposal process.
- The Boston Loan Development Corporation provides loans of up to $250,000 for businesses in, or relocating to, the City of Boston. These loans can be used when buying a new business property, purchasing equipment and machinery, constructing an addition to an existing plant, making leasehold improvements or providing working capital to grow your business.
- Women Entrepreneurs Boston (WE BOS) advances Boston’s women entrepreneurs by providing the skills, technical assistance and network they need to launch and grow their business.
For more information about participating any of these City of Boston programs, please contact the Greater Ashmont MS Executive Director.