NOW HIRING: Market Assistant for 2016 Market Season
with opportunity to advance into year round half-time Program Assistant/Market Manager role starting in November
Part-time position: noon to 8pm, every Friday, June 24 through Oct 14
Compensation: $14 per hour.
Position Description: Greater Ashmont Main Street is hiring! We are looking for a market assistant who will bring enthusiasm and dedication to promoting and operating the Ashmont/Peabody Square Farmers Market during the 2016 season. The Market Assistant will be responsible for helping with day-of operations for the market, implementing community outreach/marketing, and participating market programming throughout the market season. The Market Assistant will report to the Market Manager.
About the market:
- Founded in 2009. This will be the market’s 8th season.
- Held on Friday afternoons, 3-7pm from late June-mid October at the Ashmont MBTA plaza.
- Last year, the market had 6 regular vendors – 1 farms, 1 bakery, 1 fish vendor, 1 flower vendor, 1 community organization and 1 arts organization. We hope to increase the number and variety of vendors in 2016.
- The market accepts SNAP/EBT and participates in the Boston Bounty Bucks program.
- Weekly attendance at the market ranges from 400-600.
Desired Qualifications: Candidates should be energetic and committed to the success and growth of the market. The Market Assistant should be passionate about food, local farming and agriculture, and using the market as a tool for community building and economic development. An ability to manage multiple tasks at once is required, as is previous cashiering or money-handling experience. The assistant will need to be comfortable working both independently and as part of the market team.
Detailed Job Duties: Participate in day-to-day operations of the Market, including —
- Partner with the Market Manager to set up and break down on market days (lifting up to 40lbs. may be required)
- Stay onsite during market hours as a general assistant
- Arrange and staff the Greater Ashmont MS information/ merchandise table at market
- Process SNAP/EBT and credit transactions, maintain accurate records
Additional Qualifications: With an eye toward potential advancement into the Program Assistant/Market Manager role in November, the ideal Market Assistant would also possess excellent public communication skills, general Microsoft Office skills, proficiency in social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), fiscal responsibility, basic event planning background, and a demonstrated attention to detail.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to:
Jenn Cartee, Executive Director
Greater Ashmont Main Street
Applications accepted through June 1, 2016.
Greater Ashmont Main Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Federal and State Equal Employment Laws, equal opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, ex-offender status, prior psychiatric treatment or military status.